From Radio 702 to Thobela FM, Passion will take you everywhere

"Hope Motau at Thobela FM studio." Image courtesy of Hope Motau

Ngwanamakwa Koketšo Hope Motau of Thobela FM once had an interview with #Insight on his days working for TUT’S Department of Journalism as a TV student assistant and as a freelancer for Talk Radio 702’s Eyewitness News for close to two years.

The Ga-Mathabatha (Limpopo) born radio host Motau says “I have always been passionate about radio and journalism and my journey started back in 2010 when I studied Versatile Broadcasting, continued to do a National Diploma in Journalism and a B-Tech in Journalism from TUT.”

On his journey working as a freelancer for Radio 702’s Eyewitness News he was working there as a journalist covering stories for both radio and online platforms, and that how he got an opportunity to work for SABC’s Thobela FM.

"Motau back in the days as a freelancer at Radio 702." Image courtesy of Hope Motau

Motau says “In 2018 Thobela FM advertised posts for new presenters and producers, I went through auditions, we were 32 in total and they were only looking for 7 people and fortunately I was part of the chosen 7.”

Motau started on Thobela FM doing a midnight show in April 2018, the show was on Sundays from 00:00-03:00 A.M, the show was called Mošito wa 12 To 3 which was a music show and he did this show for a year. He was well received by the listeners as he usually had a number of callers on his music show and the listener ship of the show grew exponentially. 

“I am currently doing a show from 14:00-15:00 from Monday to Friday, which is a youth show called Moswa Le Bokamoso and I have been doing it for two years. It has been an exciting journey and the best experience of my life,” says Motau.

 “I was a little bit nervous when I was moved to an afternoon slot, as the show was done by someone else for 5-6 years but it was an exciting journey for me. I'm grateful for the support that I have been getting from the listeners, because this show grew to over 500 000 listeners, since I took over,” says Motau.

Recently the show was nominated for the Liberty Radio Awards 2020 and fortunately his show won the award. Motau says “This award brought joy to me as it was my first award in radio, because the awards I had were all from Journalism. My listeners, management and colleagues at the station were also excited and I am now known as an award winning radio presenter.”

He has been with the station since 2018 and he says he is happy and he believes he is still practicing journalism as you cannot separate radio and journalism.

“I often tell people that I do not consider myself as a celebrity, because I'm in radio for passion not for fame. I have never changed my lifestyle, and I urge upcoming radio personalities to remain humble and be passionate about their craft,” says Motau.

By: Thobela Sibiya

Comments

  1. Awesome journey ,Gudluk my brother i highly respect , ur very down 2 earth gobless u more , LERATO KE LEO KINGPIN OWA LETLISA 😘😍❤💜🧡💛💚💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really proud of this young man.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Climbing the ladder to Talk Radio 702

"Be true to yourself and don't let a bad situation swallow you." Jabulile Mamkhwanazi Khumalo